Monday, January 18, 2010

"Easiest Job Ever"

I met a good friend for lunch today who is a small business owner (well, he actually co-owns several small businesses, including one not-so-small real estate company). I sat sipping my vanilla latte as I listened to him vent about business ownership: no set hours, self-insured, quarterly taxes, payroll, bills, working weekends, and mile long to-do lists. He must have ranted for a good 15 minutes, but let's face it, he's usually the one listening to me. I didn't mind--I had the day off and was feeling quite positive and relaxed when he drops the bomb that I have "the easiest job ever." I choke, literally, and sit looking at him, my eyes pleading for him to take it back. But no, instead of realizing how offensive and totally wrong this statement is, he goes on to explain that having weekends, holidays, and summers off "must be nice." When I find the words, I ask him about dealing with the actual children, and he casually assures me he'd "have the kids behaving." Now he begins to seriously contemplate throwing away all these businesses to work a $40-$50k job because life must be so bright and shiny. Hmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment